New VAT Reverse Charge
As you may be aware HMRC have brought in domestic reverse charge rules for supplies of building and construction services, which are to be applied from 1 March 2021.
You should consider these rules and apply where necessary if you supply or buy the following services:
- constructing, altering, repairing, extending, demolishing or dismantling buildings or structures (whether permanent or not), including offshore installation services
- constructing, altering, repairing, extending, demolishing of any works forming, or planned to form, part of the land, including (in particular) walls, roadworks, power lines, electronic communications equipment, aircraft runways, railways, inland waterways, docks and harbours, pipelines, reservoirs, water mains, wells, sewers, industrial plant and installations for purposes of land drainage, coast protection or defence
- installing heating, lighting, air-conditioning, ventilation, power supply, drainage, sanitation, water supply or fire protection systems in any building or structure
- internal cleaning of buildings and structures, so far as carried out in the course of their construction, alteration, repair, extension or restoration
- painting or decorating the inside or the external surfaces of any building or structure
- services which form an integral part of, or are part of the preparation or completion of the services described above – including site clearance, earth-moving, excavation, tunnelling and boring, laying of foundations, erection of scaffolding, site restoration, landscaping and the provision of roadways and other access works
Please follow the below link for more information on when the VAT reverse charge should be applied; https://www.gov.uk/guidance/va…
There is full technical guidance available here, should you want to read up further on it. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/va… Here you will find helpful flowcharts, under item 25, to help you assess whether the VAT reverse charge may be applicable to you.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.